How to Choose a Diaper Bag
Diaper bag: constant companion, toter of all the items, and a parent’s ally. Take care of messes on the go, and roll in the hay together with your own sense of favor. A never-leave-home-without-it accessory, the diaper bag is one among the most-used pieces of baby gear some new parents buy. But there are tons of various sorts of bags on the market, with many features to think about. So what’s right for you?
Here’s everything you would like to understand about this your useful equipment, and the way to settle on the diaper bag that works for your family.
Diaper Bag 101
It’s no secret that babies need tons of stuff. From blowouts to bottles, there’s much to affect when you’re taking care of a tough one, especially when you’re not the reception .
A diaper bag may be a perfect spot to store everything you would like for baby in one place when you’re out and about. albeit you’re the foremost minimalist of oldsters, it’s a must-have for toting diapers and wipes, of course, but other necessities sort of a change of garments, extra pacifiers, bottles, and a toy or two.
Finding the right diaper bag definitely depends on your personal preferences. Here are a couple of things to think about before you create your decision.
How Will I exploit My Diaper Bag?
Before you’re taking a deep dive into diaper bag research, you’ll want to believe how you’re getting to be using your bag.
- Are you a city parent who’ll be regularly pushing a stroller and can need your hands free? Then a backpack-style bag could also be right for you.
- Are you planning on bottle feeding at all? Finding a diaper bag with insulated pockets is perhaps an honest idea.
Are you having twins, or brooding about adding another baby to your family within the near future? you’ll want to seem into a roomier style bag which will offer much space for storing.
- Think about your lifestyle, your specific needs, and the way you propose using your bag, and it’ll make your decision process an entire lot easier.
Diaper Bag Features to think about
Are you a sucker for style? Then you’ll probably need a designer bag that appears more sort of a purse than a standard diaper bag. If you’re more of a minimalist, then maybe a streamlined backpack or a diaper clutch may be a good selection for you. There are many options across an enormous array of designs, but there are a couple of features you’ll want to stay an eye fixed out for:
- Plenty of space. See above about babies needing tons of stuff!
- Easy to wash. Dirty diapers or clothes. Leaky bottles. It’s good to possess a wipe-clean surface or maybe a machine-washable bag.
- Shareability. What works for you’ll not work for your partner or caregiver, so confine mind who else is going to be using the diaper bag when making your choice.
- Ergonomic. You’ll want something that’s comfortable to hold, especially when it’s full!
Extras that are nice to have:
- Insulated pockets: These keep bottles, water, or snacks cool.
- Changing pad: Some bags include a foldout pad you’ll change baby on.
- Stroller clips: This convenient feature allows you to connect your diaper bag to your stroller, so you don’t need to carry it or take up precious space within the stroller basket.
- Lots of pockets: Having designated spots to place things can assist you to find what you’re trying to find more easily.
Now let’s get shopping.
Why We like it
Backpack diaper bags are a well-liked choice for many parents, and permanently reason. they allow you to comfortably carry everything you would like for each day out with baby while keeping both hands free—a huge plus. They’re generally roomy, feature many pockets and compartments for extra storage, and are available during a huge sort of style.
Keep in Mind
The one downside of a backpack-style bag is that it can get within the way of babywearing. Although it’s not impossible to babywear and carry a backpack, it is often a touch uncomfortable. (And heavy!) And since you’ve got to require it off to succeed inside, a backpack is additionally less accessible than a tote or a messenger.
Why We like it
Messenger-style bags are often used as diaper bags. many pockets and zippered compartments make this sort of bag easy to organize: put diapers in one pocket, fresh clothes in another, snacks during a third…you get the thought. The padded cross-body strap keeps the bag secure and provides your back and shoulders more ergonomic support than a one-arm carry.
Keep in Mind
It is often tricky to simply access the contents of your bag. The foldover front that provides the messenger its signature style is often aggravating to open and shut for a few parents.
Why We like it
With its diaper-bag-that-doesn’t-look-like-a-diaper-bag design, large, open space for storing and one-shoulder carry, the tote hits the mark for function and elegance. It’s perfect for the parent who likes the design of a standard bag or who wants a diaper bag which will double as a piece or laptop bag. and therefore the tote has much space for everything you’ll need for each day out with the baby.
Keep in Mind
One of the items that’s great a few totes—the large, versatile storage space—also makes it easy for items to urge involved and fall to rock bottom of the bag. which will be frustrating when you’re trying to quickly find that pacifier for your fussy baby. (Any sort of small, removable organizers are an excellent solution for this issue.) Also remember that totes usually don’t have a cross-body strap (although some do accompany that option, which is ideal), so there’s always the prospect of your bag slipping off your shoulder.